Let’s Get Our Pumpkin On!
November 12, 2014
By: Denise K. Livotti – www.PetitsChefsAcademy.com
So what to do with all that pumpkin? Don’t throw it out! Here are a few ideas;
1) The Worms will thank you: If you’re going to throw out your pumpkin why not give it to Cathy of Cathy Crawly Composters she can feed her worms with it. Worms love pumpkin! And they’re going to play an ever increasing role in waste management and soil production. It is essential that we all learn how and teach children how. Cathy does a wonderful job in raising awareness about the wonder of worms and how we can all become more sustainable.
2) Compost it! Pumpkin breaks down nicely in a composter and feeds your garden in the spring and summer months.
3) What… a cannoli!? All you have to do is roast your pumpkin in the oven at 425 degrees until it is soft then put it into the food processor and purée it. You can add some of the pumpkin purée to ricotta, plus all the other ingredients you would use to make cannoli including a dash of;
Pumpkin Spice & All Things Nice (Mix the following in a nice gift jar and give it to someone at Christmas or gift it to yourself!)
- 1/3 cup ground cinnamon.
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger.
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg or mace.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice.
And voila you have a pumpkin infused cannoli for something different, this recipe was inspired by a friend Jenny and her blog, Fables and Focaccia you must check it out and try some of her recipes!
4) Last but certainly not least make a Pumpkin & Bacon Soup, like I did for the ‘famiglia’ this past weekend. They devoured it and came back for seconds.